With a population just shy of 100,000, Albany, New York, is a perfect size. It’s big enough to have all the amenities you love but cozy enough to offer a more relaxed pace of life. Albany is located on the Hudson River, about two hours north of New York City.
What To Know About Buying a Home in Albany, NY
Albany has hundreds of single-family homes for sale in popular neighborhoods such as Loudonville, Lisha Kill/Karner, Karlsfeld and Westmere. Because Albany has a buyer’s market, the actual home selling price is often much less than the asking price. The median sold home price is $177,000.
Why New Homeowners Love Albany
It’s not really surprising that Albany enjoys popularity with couples, families and young professionals looking to settle down. The city is warm, alluring and beautiful for many reasons:
- Excellent education:
- Local schools have a great reputation for high-quality education. In Albany, over one-third of residents have at least a bachelor’s degree.
- Stunning fall scenery:
- Autumn in Albany is a nature lover’s dream. The surrounding forests turn vibrant shades of crimson and gold, making this city a top spot for watching breathtaking fall colors up close.
- Outdoor spaces galore:
- If you like to spend time outdoors with your kids or enjoy getting regular exercise with fresh air, Albany is the place for you. Parks, forests and riverside boardwalks all make it easy to hike, bike or go for a quiet walk from time to time.
- Awesome Entertainment:
- There are plenty of shopping malls and mouth-watering restaurants in Albany for having fun with friends or keeping your kids happy. This city features an exotic mix of authentic cuisine, so foodies never get bored.
- Lively nightlife:
- Whether you’re a single resident looking to bump into another single resident, or you want to take someone special out for a romantic night on the town, Albany offers endless ways to fall in love. Art galleries, film festivals, upscale wine bars and moonlit walks by the river are all great possibilities.