As you may have guessed, the city of Erie, Pennsylvania is located on the shores of beautiful Lake Erie. This prime location guarantees breathtaking vistas and constant access to refreshing open-air backdrops. The city itself has a sizable population of around 100,000 people, but its abundant greenery provides an easy escape from the pace of modern life.
Erie is about two hours from Cleveland, Ohio; Buffalo, New York, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Any of these destinations make for a great weekend getaway.
Who Would Love Living in Erie?
- Families: Erie’s amusement parks, shopping centers, trails, and beaches make it easy to entertain kids and teens. Parents love the solid education and safe city neighborhoods and suburbs.
- Nature enthusiasts: Whether you’re in the mood for sailing, sitting on the beach, hiking, biking, nature photography, fishing or bird-watching, this area has it all. Presque Isle State Park is a unique forested area sitting on a sandy peninsula that stretches into Lake Erie, and it’s just minutes away.
- Retirees: With the perfect amount of nightlife and amenities, Erie lets you buy a comfy house and live happily ever after.
- First-time homeowners: Because you get so much value for your investment, purchasing a home in Erie offers more amenities and space for the price than places such as Cleveland.
Are Homes in Erie, Pennsylvania Expensive?
With a stunning lake view and excellent reputation for safety, Erie’s extremely affordable housing market often comes as a surprise to visitors. Attractive and spacious three-bedroom houses with pristine lawns may sell for as little as $65,000 depending on the neighborhood you like.
The city’s median home price is approximately $100,000. This is over 50 percent less than the U.S. national average.
What Are the Highlights of Erie, Pennsylvania?
Besides amazing outdoor spots such as Lake Erie, Presque Isle State Park, and Alleghany State Park, Erie has a nice variety of family-friendly activities available:
- The Erie Maritime Museum
- Old Presque Isle Light lighthouse
- Waldameer Park and Waterworld
- Eriez Speedway
- Victorian Princess lake cruise
- Erie Planetarium